The Regional Maritime University (RMU), Accra, Ghana, is an international tertiary institution. She attained full University status on the 25th of October, 2007 and was launched as such by His Excellency, John Agyekum Kuffour, President of the Republic of Ghana.
The objectives of the University are as follows:
- To develop a comprehensive and liberal programme of maritime education and training to match modern technological innovations associated with shipboard operations and the fishing industry;
- To prepare sea-going officers to assume higher responsibilities on merchant ships and fishing vessels;
- To provide adequate training facilities with a view to promoting the administrative, managerial, operational and technical skills of shore-based shipping and ports personnel;
- To promote maritime co-operation and full participation among Member States;
- To perform any other functions which are incidental to the objects of the University.