The philosophy of the Plateau State University, Bokkos is to provide comprehensive, multi-disciplinary programmes for educational and manpower development taking into consideration, the socio-cultural conditions and the unique educational needs within its immediate catchment areas and Nigeria as a whole. In pursuance of its overall philosophy, (built into its motto: Knowledge, Diligence and Integrity), Plateau State University, Bokkos believes in and will work towards innovative and practical education.
- To encourage the advancement of learning and to hold out to all persons, without distinction as to race, creed, sex or political conviction, the opportunity of acquiring a higher and liberal education in Science, Technology and Humanities.
- To Provide and promote sound basic education as the foundation for the development of society, culture and social institutions, technology and applied sciences.
- To develop and offer academic and professional programmes with emphasis on productive skills leading to the award of certificates, diplomas and degrees in the scientific, engineering, agricultural, environmental, arts and social science and allied professional disciplines.
- To encourage and promote scholarship and conduct of research in all fields of learning and human endeavours.
- To offer to the public the results of teaching and research and to foster the practical application of these results.
- To inculcate in the students good moral leadership values and a capacity to freely explore and follow the truth as well as excellence in service.
- To establish appropriate relationships with other national and international institutions involved in training, research and development of science, technology and humanities.
- To relate its activities to the social, cultural and economic needs of the people of Plateau State in particular and Nigeria in general.
- To undertake other activities appropriate for a university of the highest standard.
VISION OF THE UNIVERSITY
To nurture a University of the highest international standard, whose all-round standing shall be ranked among the best in Nigeria and the world.
MISSION OF THE UNIVERSITY
The primary mission of the Plateau State University, Bokkos is to provide academic services to the people of Plateau State, to Nigerians and to the world at large, through:
- Advancing learning, promoting scholarship and community service.
- Providing an environment in which staff can develop their potential and contribute optimally to the University; and where students can acquire academic entrepreneurial skills and professional competence, as well as instilling in their minds and character: Knowledge, Diligence and Integrity.
- Efficient and judicious allocation of resources to achieve strategic objectives.
- The development of strong undergraduate, postgraduate, professional and continuing education programmes.
- The local and international exchange of academic staff and students.
- Publication and application of research findings to promote national development, attract grants from donor agencies and bring prestige to the University.
The Motto of the University is Knowledge, Diligence & Integrity.
Knowledge as the greatest symbol of intellectualism would be acquired through diligence or hard work, blended with strict adherence to moral values and principles in the course of studying in the University. The graduates of the University are then expected to go to the outside world and serve humanity with loyalty, uprightness, courage, ingenuity, intelligence and above all, the fear of God; all of which are essential ingredients of integrity.